During her recent visit, one of my favorite ways to spend time with my mom was cooking and baking. Even through the journey of dementia, some things are instinctual. She may ask questions now and again, but she loved being helpful and feeling like she mattered. The two pounds of strawberries we had bought the day before needed to be used. A simple, quick and easy dessert Strawberry Crumble Bars are perfect any time of the year!
Let’s Get Baking!
It really is as simple as mixing and then baking. The shortbread-like crust and the crumble topping is the same ingredients. Mix it up, split it in half. Spread half in your 9×13 pan and press it down. Now make your strawberry mixture and spread that on top.
Sprinkle and Bake!
Now it’s as easy as sprinkling the remaining crumble topping on top of your strawberries and baking! Seriously? Even our husband’s can make these yummy treats!
Enjoy Your Strawberry Crumble Bars!
Wait a little bit for them to cool and then cut and serve. Remember, this recipe is a 9×13 pan so there is even enough to share with a few friends for a wonderful homemade Happy Galentine’s Day treat! Are you looking to plan a Galentine’s Retreat? My post Galentine’s Day is all about our adventures at Hillside Hideway Leavenworth!
Want to add a little extra yumminess? Add a layer of homemade lemon curd under the strawberry layer! Check out my post Lemon Berry Tart for the recipe.
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Strawberry Crumble Bars
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold butter cut into cubes
- 1 egg beaten
- 5 cups fresh strawberries hulled and chopped
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 tsp corn starch
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray 9 x 13 pan with Pam or line with parchment paper or foil.
- In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour. Cut in the butter using pastry blender or two forks, until pieces are slightly larger than sand.
- Stir in the egg to form a crumbly dough. Pat half of the dough in an even layer in the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, toss the strawberries with the 1/2 cup sugar and corn starch, then spread the strawberry on top of the dough in the pan.
- Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the strawberries.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool before slicing and serving.