This weekend I attended an amazing Sunset Yoga Event by my yoga bff, Georgina, owner of Azul SUP and Yoga. Nestled in the hills of Camano Island and overlooking the beautiful Puget Sound at a private estate, we would gather to enjoy the sunset with a bit of Chakra tea and bites after our yoga session.
We wanted to keep things simple, easy and light. Because the heat of summer is hitting us, it had to be something refreshing that wouldn’t melt while we basked in the views and got our Om on. I scrolled through all the Instagram Hastags, Pinterest Pins and looked for something unique. I decided to modify the standard caprese appetizer with a pop of berries and the crunch of a cucumber with a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
You all know I am a texture eater, so I also wanted something that would have a combination of flavors and textures. You all know that I love love love all things berries, so who wouldn’t want to make use of our beautiful organic veggies and fruit this time of year.
Life is also busy, so I wanted something I could make quickly and definitely make ahead because I would be going from one event to another. This definitely fit the bill. I made them quickly, plated them on my tray, covered them and placed them in the fridge. Because I didn’t know if everyone would be into the balsamic glaze and to keep things fresh, I left off the glaze and served it as an option.
Based on how fast these treats disappeared they are going to be a standard for all my summer get-togethers. If my peeps are any indication, your friends will love them too!
Gather together all the freshest ingredients, that is what really makes this recipe pop! I love all the fresh veggies and fruits all season long. Rinse, your basil, mozzarella pearls, cucumber, blueberries and blackberries.
If needed cut your basil into more managable pieces. Then begin your layers. Mozzarella, basil, blackerry, cucumber, mozzarella and finally blueberry!
Set aside and begin again. If you are going to serve immediately, layer your skewers with the grabbing side to the outside of your plate. After completing all of your skewers, cover and refrigerate until serving.
We were serving our appetizers later, so we did not drizzle ours with the balsamic glaze. This is such a yummy treat, as is, we left off our balsamic glaze and served it as an option. It is all up to you!
I love balsamic glaze, so drizzle away for sure!
Berry Caprese Appetizers
- 1 pkg fresh mozzarella pearls
- 1 English cucumber diced
- 1-2 bunches fresh basil
- 1 8 oz pkg fresh blackberries
- 1 8 oz pkg fresh blueberries
- Balsamic glaze
- appetizer toothpicks or skewers
- Open, drain and rinse mozzarella pearls, set aside. I used pearls as I felt the mozzarella balls were slightly too big, but you decide.
- Rinse blackberries and blueberries. Set aside on papertowel to ry.
- Cut cucumber into ¾-1″ slices and then cut into quarters. Set aside.
- Rinse basil leaves and pat dry. Depending on the size of the leaves, cut into 1″ strips width-wise.
- Using your toothpicks, place your bites on starting with the mozzarella pearls, then a folded basil lear, followed by a blackberry, a piece of cucumber, another mozzarella pearl and finally a blueberry with the flower end facing out.
- Place your skewers on your tray as you make them, My tray was long and for ease, I alternated the skewers between one side of the tray and the other, always with the part your guests will be grabbing facing out.
- Refrigerate or serve right away, drizzling with balsamic glaze before serving or as an option for your guests.
I’d love to know if you try these yummy treats! Don’t forget to tag @peppyfitfoodie. Follow me on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook and Subscribe to PeppyFitFooodie today!