One of my favorite things to prep for the week are yummy energy bites! I really love all the varieties you can come up with these days! I having been looking to come up with a protein energy bite that my hubby will like as well as me. My hubby’s birthday cake of choice is that classic ooey-gooey, frosting laden Carrot Cake. Working to find ingredients that would be a little healthier and still give him the essence of a carrot cake, these bites were born.
Full disclosure…the bites don’t include cream cheese frosting. Sorry, not sorry!
Energy bites are great because you can really mix it up, make a bunch and keep them in the fridge. They are fantastic before or after exercise. They are especially wonderful when you’re just a little peckish, but you would rather not grab the bag of potato chips you have in the pantry for the “kids” 😊
So here’s the thing, never be afraid of making energy bites. You simply toss everything in your food processor, pulse on it until everything is blended. The key is to make sure your dates are softened. I place mine in a bowl then power over boiling water and let them soak while I get everything ready.
My food processor is on the small side, so I pulse everything separately, pour it into a large bowl and then blend with a spoon or seriously, my hands. I’ve got to get them all goopy when I roll the energy bites into balls, so why not just pretend I’m back 40 years and making mud pies again and go in with both hands! 😂
Once everything is blended, roll into 2″ balls. If you want, you can then roll them in desiccated coconut for a really pretty look and to keep your fingers from getting sticky later when you eat them. After you have them all done, store them all into an airtight container. Your bites should last a week…or not, if the hubs and kids like them as much as mine!
I like to let my bites come to room temp before I dig in, but they are just as yummy cold!
Carrot Cake Protein Energy Bites
A quick and easy no-bake, gluten-free healthy snack!
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 cup cashews, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup peanuts, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup milk*
- 1/3 cup dates, softened (about 12)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup collagen protein powder*
- 1 tbsp ProBiotein Prebiotic Powder, optional
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, optional
- Blend all ingredients, with the exception of the coconut which will be used lataer, in a food processor until dough is formed.
- Roll into bite sized balls. Roll in coconut and place in airtight container.
- Keep refrigerated up to 1 week. *Please note that you can substitute these ingredients to a vegan/vegetarian option if you prefer.
Follow Me on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter @peppyfitfoodie !
Coming Soon….Why use a CBD Product?